September 2008 – Present,
Vice President – Strategy Management.
Zamil Group Holding – Saudi Arabia. A diversified group with “multi-billion-dollar” investments in tens of affiliates and subsidiaries in seven sectors: “Petrochemical, Building material, Marine & Offshore, Chemicals & Plastics, Trade & Services, Real Estate, Financial Investments”
By heading the Strategy Management and Performance in the Group I am responsible for managing the corporate strategy development and execution for the Group. This includes advising the Group President and Board of Directors on the performance of Group investments and recommending actions to reshape the Group portfolio to achieve a balanced and rewarding portfolio and other strategic objectives of the Group.
In my current position, I am responsible for the following duties:
- Deploying a strategy management practice for the Group Holding to help achieving the Group vision and strategic objectives.
The system includes developing a clear strategic direction with a defined corporate strategy and a performance management system using the Balanced Scorecard framework to monitor strategic achievements [the deployment was conducted by an in-house team that I led].
- Engaging with top leaders of the Group and Board members to present recommendations and provide support for decision making and portfolio management.
- Assessing and monitoring performance of the Group portfolio to identify value creators and destroyers and give recommendations for courses of action to ensure a balanced and rewarding portfolio that would achieve the Group’s long term objectives.
- Supporting Group Affiliates in improving strategic planning practices by creating a center of excellence for strategy management in the Group.
- Conducting strategic reviews on the Group level and providing support to Group Affiliates for conducting strategic partnerships, merger and acquisition transactions.
Facilitating the business planning process for Group Affiliates to align with overall Group strategy.
- Supporting Holding and Sector-holding Boards in all strategic issues and business intelligence to support the decision making practice.
- Improving investment practices by working closely with the Business Development and Mergers and Acquisition teams to develop their practices to world-class practice that is aligned to the Group strategic objectives.
- Analyzing various business sectors in Saudi Arabia and screening opportunities to identify new core industries for the Group to diversify its portfolio. This includes analyzing all 15 sectors of Saudi listed companies and benchmarking Group businesses with industry leaders. The sectors’ analysis include, but not limited to, petrochemicals, telecommunications, building material, …etc.
- Improving financial reporting practices by working closely with corporate finance to enhance the timing and format of strategic financial reporting to measure strategic performance of the Group and present it to the Board.
- Aligning governance practices throughout Group Companies by establishing governance manuals in alignment with approved Group governance guidelines.
- Organizing the Group Corporate Center to support governance bodies and provide parental advantage for Group Affiliates.
- Managing strategic communication throughout the Group whether in person or via other media. This includes organizing an annual gathering for all Group leaders to discuss strategy related issues.
April 2008 – August 2008,
Sector Lead Consultant - Infrastructure, Land and Environment (ILE) Sector.
The Executive Council, Government of Dubai, UAE.
As a Sector Lead Consultant in the Performance Management field, I was responsible for leading a team of consultants/ project managers/ research analysts to deploy a strategy execution framework based on the Balanced Scorecard that would enable Government Authorities and Agencies to improve their performance to achieve the objectives declared in Dubai Strategic Plan. This involved driving a cultural change to a new way of managing Government Entities in alignment with the overall government strategic plan. The ILE sector is a major enabling sector to the economy and includes 4 government authorities and 15 agencies.
I was responsible for the following duties:
- Contributing to establishment of Strategy Execution Guide to facilitate executing Dubai Strategic Plan using the Balanced Scorecard methodology to be deployed in Government Authorities and Agencies.
- Leading the deployment of Strategy Execution System in ILE sector (the mission was put on hold for readiness issues).
February 2004 – March 2008,
Strategy and Organization Development Consultant
Al Yaum Media House, Daily Newspaper, Press and Publishing House, Dammam, KSA. “The leading daily newspaper in the eastern province of Saudi Arabia”.
As a Advisor to Top Management (Managing Director and the Board) and the Manager of Strategic Planning and Organization Development Department.
I was responsible for the following duties :
- Managing the process of developing and executing strategy by implementing the Balanced Scorecards planning and performance management methodology.
- Preparing a 5-year strategic plan for achieving the strategic direction of the company.
- Preparing a detailed 1-year business plan for monthly monitoring and follow-up.
- Directing the process of monitoring strategic performance to ensure the proper implementation of the plan.
- Leading a restructuring process to design the apt organization setup (functional and positional structures, functional statements, job descriptions and authorities matrix) that is aligned to the achievement of the strategic objectives according to the Balanced Scorecards methodology .
- Training executives on strategic planning and leading the planning process to produce a practical, challenging and achievable 5-year plan.
- Upgrading the salary scale and performance appraisal systems to be aligned to strategy.
- Providing professional advice on the acquisition of a publishing company to diversify sources of income.
December 1999 – January 2004,
Deloitte & Touche (Amman Regional Office), Member of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu International.
As a Senior Consultant and Project Manager for various types of consulting assignments.
[List of conducted projects is provided later]
December 1997 – December 1999,
Senior Management/ Marketing Consultant
Abu Ghazaleh Consulting (Jordan Practice/ Head Office), Member of the Abu-Ghazaleh Group.
As a Senior Consultant and Project Manager for various types of consulting assignments. [List of conducted projects is provided later]
August 1995 - November 1997
Management/ Marketing Consultant
Promoted to Operations Division Head, Projects Department in July 1997.
TEAM International-Engineering and Management Consultants, Amman, Jordan. Member of TEAM International.
[List of conducted projects is provided later]
1994 - June,1995
Research Assistant (Scholarship), Business Administration Department
University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan.
October, 1994 – February, 1995
Part-time Lecturer, Business Administration Department
Jerusalem College, Amman-Jordan.